The Gold Coast, a beachside city in southern Queensland, is one of Australia’s most beautiful, alluring tourist destinations. Year after year, it receives not just thousands but millions of local and international visitors. Boasting almost perfect weather all year round, Surfers Paradise – the main tourist, retail and business centre – offers the perfect blend of beach and city lifestyles set amidst an incredible stretch of the coast and spectacular skyline. Tourists who we welcome here at Gold Coast Holiday Rentals agree that coming here is like spending days in paradise.
Surfers Paradise offers more than just great beaches and a wide range of Gold Coast accommodation – it offers everything that tourists are looking for to have an unforgettable holiday. Committed to providing non-stop action, Surfers Paradise is the perfect jumping-off point to visit some of Queensland amazing festivals, world-class theme parks, historical places, UNESCO heritage sites, and several unique family attractions.
It is also a dining and shopping mecca as it is home to some of Queensland biggest shopping malls and dining districts where you can sample international and local cuisines. Expect a never-ending shopping experience from top-end designers to beachfront markets. Surfers Paradise becomes even livelier when nightfall comes. Every corner of this suburb is filled with modern and stylish bars pumping with live music and dance beats. Whatever it is that you’re looking for to have a comfortable, enjoyable, and one-of-a-kind adventure, you can be assured that Surfers Paradise has something just perfect for you.
Surfers Paradise History
The iconic long stretch of golden beach fronting Surfers Paradise has attracted people from all over the world for more than 100 years. Its history started when Jim Cavill, a hotelier from Brisbane, acquired 10 hectares of land in what was to become Surfers Paradise back in 1920. In those days, the area was known as Elston. By 1925, Elston started to get more visitors after the Jubilee Bridge and the extension of the South Coast road were opened to the public. As Elston became more accessible, investors began purchasing land around this area and south to Burleigh Heads. A few years later, investors started putting up rooming establishments and hotels. That year, Jim Cavill built the town’s first landmark – Surfers Paradise Hotel. The coast hideaway quickly became popular so that in no time, shops and other establishments were built around it to cater to the growing tourist trade. In 1933, with Cavill’s drive to promote the town heavily, he pushed to change the name from Elston to Surfers Paradise.
Over the decades, Surfers Paradise became more and more popular due to efforts exerted by the evolving ranks of community leaders, business identities, and colourful personalities. Slowly, their vision of making Surfers Paradise Australia’s prime tourist destination was soon to be realized.
And the name ‘Gold Coast’? Well, there are a number of stories as to how the name came about but the most colourful comes from a Courier Mail (Brisbane’s daily newspaper) journalist who wrote about the area after the Second World War and coined the name referring to the exorbitant cost of ice cream!
Surfers Paradise Main Attractions
Of course, the main reason why Surfers Paradise is extremely popular with tourists is because of its distinct attractions. Some of them are the following:
- Surfers Paradise Esplanade and beach: The main reason why Surfers Paradise is extremely popular with tourists is because of its three-kilometre strip of golden sand known as Main Beach. Hailed as one of Australia’s most pristine beaches, it is a post-card perfect attraction that attracts surfers, swimmers, and joggers around the world. Here, you can find both locals and tourists participating in different activities including beach volleyball, surfing, sandcastle building, swimming, etc.
Then there is the Esplanade, a pedestrian precinct for exercise and recreation. And across the road, endless cafes where you can sit outside, drink a coffee or enjoy some local food and watch the world go by.
Every Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday night, this area features Beachfront markets that you can definitely look forward to. Here, you can find great treasures, amazing bargains, and rare finds from more than 100 market stalls selling different merchandise and goodies.
- The cosmopolitan atmosphere: As one of Australia’s premier tourist destinations, Surfers Paradise is abuzz with its laid-back atmosphere. People from all over the world come here with one thing uppermost on their mind: they are here for fun and for relaxation. Cavill Avenue, the centre of Surfers Paradise oozes the atmosphere from dawn to dusk – and beyond. Restaurants, bars and cafes cater to all cuisines and all budgets. (And we won’t mention the shopping opportunities.) See below for more.
- The water: If you’re adventurous, go ahead and try Jet Boat Extreme — the Gold Coast’s largest and most powerful Jet Boating adventure ride offered in Surfers Paradise. This is a great way to see some of Surfers Paradise most spectacular sceneries while you get to experience the excitement and thrill aboard the coast’s most powerful purpose-built jet boat. If this sounds a bit too scary for you then there is also the Aquaduck– a special bus-cum-waterbus that will pick you up at your hotel door and then dive into the water for a sightseeing trip around the canals. There are several boat operators offering lunch or afternoon cruises and of course, if you come in whale watching season you can get up close and personal with these amazing creatures.
- The tourist attractions: Of course, being a top holiday destination there are plenty of tourist attractions within Surfers Paradise. Ripley’s Believe it or Not, the Wax Museum (complete with its own ‘Chamber of Horrors’), Adrenalin Park with its Sling Shot and aptly named ‘Vomatron’ are just for starters.
- World-Class Resorts: Being a top tourist destination, Surfers Paradise not only offers the best resorts on the Gold Coast but some of the best in Australia. And we manage some of the top apartments in the top resorts. What is more, these are offered at very reasonable prices and you will find that often a fully self-contained apartment works out much more reasonable than a hotel room – even more so when you factor in the cost of having to eat all your meals in cafes and restaurants.
Of course, Surfers Paradise offers many more attractions that travelling couples, friends, and family will surely enjoy. Half the fun is in exploring and finding those special places that you and your family enjoy and want to tell others about.
Surfers Paradise Accommodation
Being one of Australia’s most popular tourist destinations, the Surfers Paradise accommodation options are very diverse offering different amenities, rates, and facilities. Whether you’re looking for a luxurious penthouse, spacious serviced apartment, typical hotel rooms, or cheap back-packers inn, you can be assured that you’ll find something here that will compliment your budget and your preference.
However, if you’re travelling on a budget but don’t want to sacrifice comfort and luxury, I personally recommend booking your Surfers Paradise accommodation in serviced apartments such as the ones offered here at HRSP. These are from some of Surfers Paradise most luxurious hotels and resorts but they are independently managed. Because of this, we get to offer you low prices but still allow you to have access to all amazing amenities and facilities. Call us today on (07) 5539 8553 or book online.
Restaurants and Dining
A large majority of interstate visitors choose Surfers Paradise not only because of its reputation for good weather but also because of its wide variety of restaurants and eateries. Here, you can find countless fine dining restaurants with some offering al-fresco dining settings. There are also restaurants serving authentic Australian, Asian, American, European, and other world-class cuisines.
Surfers Paradise culinary diversity makes it a dining attraction for foodies, families, and tourists from across the globe. Whether you’re looking for steak, noodles, pizza and pasta, sushi and Japanese ramen, Indian or Mexican food, you can be assured that Surfers Paradise can offer you exactly what you’re craving. Why not experiment with your taste buds while you are here?
Shopping and Fashion
Surfers Paradise is home to some of the Gold Coast’s biggest and most stylish shopping malls and shopping districts where you can find high-end shops offering branded apparel, amazing artworks, kid’s fashion, and even jewellery. Some of the shopping districts that you cannot afford to miss are found at Chevron Renaissance, Centro Surfers Paradise, and the High Street Surfers Paradise.
Book your Surfers Paradise accommodation at Gold Coast Holiday Rentals
Now that you know what makes Surfers Paradise a popular tourist destination, I am sure that you’re now seriously considering coming here. Well, if you are, make sure to make Gold Coast Holiday Rentals your Surfers Paradise accommodation partner. We offer luxurious but affordable serviced apartments at some of Surfers Paradise iconic hotels and resorts including Chevron Renaissance, Moroccan Resort and Circle on Cavill. You can find a list by visiting our website. All the properties that we manage offer ocean views and are very spacious, stylish, and well-maintained. For more information about our impressive apartments, please head to our main web page where you can find actual photos, floor plans and even videos. For booking, call us at 07 5539 8553 and we’ll be more than happy to assist you.